Senior Practitioner - Pre School
Senior Practitioner - Pre School
Location: Fareham, PO14 1JE
Salary Range: £21,216 - £22,048 (depending upon experience)
Hours: 40 hours per week (Between 7.30am and 6.00pm)
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Qualifications required: Level 3 in Childcare and Education or equivalent
Benefits: Pension, 20 days annual leave (pro rata) plus bank holidays and 1 day off for birthday
Reports to: Nursery Manager
Personal Spec - Essential
- Ensure all legislation in relation to regulatory bodies, inclusion, safeguarding and health and safety is complied to and that Hopscotch’s policies and procedures are known, adhered to and implemented.
- To assist the Room Leader in the implementation of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum to all children.
- Ensure that all children attending the nursery setting are kept safe and receive the very highest standard of care, learning and play opportunities which are age and developmentally appropriate.
- Support the Room in the leading, motivating and management of the staff within your room.
- Ensure all relevant statutory guidelines are met in line with the delivery of the EYFS and OFSTED registration.
- Act as an ambassador for the safeguarding, health, safety and welfare of children, ensuring all legislation and policies are known, complied with and implemented
- Practitioners have a duty of care to children and have responsibility to flag concerns
- Practitioners will be part of regular supervision meetings
- Practitioners must undergo a DBS Enhanced check and we will require all staff to sign up for the DBS Update Service
- Assist the Room Leader with the implementation of the EYFS curriculum.
- Provide high standards of quality within the nursery regarding the environment for the children, the resources and play experiences offered.
- Support planning for the EYFS and ensure that accurate development records, online learning journals and next steps are kept for each child within your own key group, inform Room Leader of individual training needs of the team if identified.
- Support the promotion and development of strong partnership with parents, carers and family members acting as a positive role models in all areas.
- Support the development of good practice with regards to special needs and inclusion seek advice from SENCO when needed and in consultation with the Room Leader.
- Support the Room Leader with all efforts to continuously improve quality of childcare and education.
- Ensure that the nutritional needs of the children are met in accordance with company policy and procedure and individual dietary requirements are adhered to.
- Work alongside the Room Leader supporting the work of Area SENCO’s, advisory teachers, health professionals and local sure start centers and relevant Local Authority Departments as requested by nursery management.
- In support of company policy and the EYFS ensure all staff follow key person procedures ensuring staff develop positive relationships with each child and their families.
- Remain knowledgeable and up to date with developments in the childcare and education sector
- Assist the Room Leader with the settling in sessions with the new parents establishing positive relationships and supporting both the child and parents during these sessions.
- Support the Room Leader ensuring that all paperwork within the rooms is completed accurately and efficiently taking personal responsibility for own work at the highest level.
- Promote the nursery to current parents and prospective parents.
- Support the Room Leader during inspections by regulatory bodies and assist in the implementation of any recommendations.
- Undertake a shared responsibility for the health, safety and cleanliness throughout the nursery.
- Ensure the general cleanliness of the children at all times
- Adhere to all Health and Safety policies and procedures both statutory and company specific.
- Operate to the highest standard of hygiene and throughout tall aspects of the setting.
- Carry out daily risk assessments as requested by the Room Leader and discuss findings with Room Leader.
- Implement development plans for the room ensuring continuous improvement in all standards and childcare practice as identified by the Room Leader.
- Act as a positive role model to staff in all areas of behaviour, personal presentation, work ethic, childcare knowledge and attitude.
- Support the Room Leader with the implementation of changes in organizational policies and procedures.
- Support room staff with their day to day duties.
- Support and mentor staff and students.
- Be responsible for participating in self development activities including ongoing training and appraisals.
- Attend regular staff meetings, planning meetings and parent evenings supporting the Room Leader as requested.
- Work alongside other Senior Nursery Nurses in the implementation of the EYFS to ensure consistency across the nursery.
- Work in partnership with the Room Leader and other Senior Nursery Nurses to ensure that transitions are managed at all times and taking consideration to parents’ wishes and feelings.
- Support the Room Leader ensuring that monthly, quarterly and annual archiving processes in line with company policy and procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure that parents requesting session changes and extra session fill in correct paperwork and pass to the office.
- Take responsibility for maintaining accurate Child Records on a daily basis and ensuring that information is current and up to date.
- Assist the Room Leader with daily administrative tasks ensuring that accurate information is passed to parents.
Personal Spec - Essential
- Natural affinity to children
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team and independently
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Able to build relationships with others
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Caring nature and energetic
- Willing to learn and progress further in knowledge
- Former experience working in a childcare environment e.g. day nursery/after school club/school
- Knowledge of OFSTED, EYFS and other relevant childcare policies and programs
- Knowledge of safeguarding and the role of a DSL
- Paediatric first aid certificate
- Food hygiene certificate
- Current Level 4 Safeguarding training certificate